Senior Environmental Policy & Strategy Planner
Raukawa Charitable Trust | Te Poari Manaaki o Raukawa
About Raukawa Charitable Trust
Raukawa Charitable Trust (RCT) is a provider of quality community initiatives throughout the South Waikato. We are proud to deliver a wide range of iwi-lead initiatives in the environmental, health, social, treaty, and cultural sectors to the communities that we serve.
Our mandate is to represent and protect the interests of the Raukawa Iwi within our takiwā in the Central North Island. The head office for the Raukawa Charitable Trust is located in Tokoroa, with satellite offices throughout our takiwā. The RCT Pūtake Taiao (Environment) Group is responsible for the advocacy and protection of Raukawa interests in national, regional and district policy and planning frameworks; and for informing, leading and implementing environmental strategy, policy positions, and projects.
If you are interested in working in a dynamic environment, creating opportunities, and representing iwi in environmental matters at a local, regional and national level, then we'd like to hear from you.
In a team that is the voice for the RCT in the environmental field, the Senior Policy & Strategy Planner will provide policy and strategic advice for the RCT on environmental matters. Responsibilities include contributing to policy and strategy for the Raukawa Co-Management Deed for the Waikato River; and shaping Raukawa participation and influence across relevant environmental policy and planning frameworks. You will also contribute to identifying strategic opportunities for Raukawa as they arise, whether from existing relationship arrangements, legislative and/or planning reviews, or from RCT involvement with industry, sector and community groups.
To carry out this role you will need to show us you have:
- The ability to confidently represent Raukawa rights, responsibilities and aspirations
- The ability to build and then maintain positive relationships with stakeholders
- The ability to successfully negotiate within policy and planning frameworks
- Experience formulating submissions and the ability to prepare evidence for hearings
- Experience responding to resource consent applications
- Experience in the negotiation, planning and development of work programmes.
We are also looking for personal attributes such as:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A high level of self-motivation and the ability to take the initiative to deliver outcomes
- Adaptability, flexibility, and the ability to manage dynamic work streams
- Attention to detail and an ability to track multiple deadlines and requirements
- A commitment to creating a great team environment
- An understanding of Te Ao Māori and Raukawa values.
Ideally you will have:
- A tertiary qualification preferably in Resource and Environment Planning, Law, Management and/or any other related qualification
- Advanced and comprehensive understanding of the Resource Management Act (RMA) and other relevant environmental legislation, and senior level policy or planning experience with the RMA
- A sound understanding of the NZ Environmental/Resource Management sector and related sectors.
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Excellent working conditions
- A dynamic and supportive team environment
- Health Insurance for all eligible employees
- A Workwell workplace, which includes an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
If you believe you have the skills and abilities for this role, please apply now.
Applicants must hold a full current drivers licence, and be prepared to undergo reference checks and Police vetting.
Please include a CV and a cover letter with your application, and send to HR@raukawa.org.nz. Applications close 30 August 2020.
Raukawa Charitable Trust operates under a Smoke-free Environment policy. For more info about the Raukawa Charitable Trust visit www.raukawa.org.nz