Speech and Language Therapist
Ministry of Education
- Fixed-term, full-time
- Palmerston North
About this role
As a Speech Language Therapist you will play a critical role in our region's Learning Support team by:
- working to understand the impact of children and young people's communication needs in the context of their home, education setting and community
- working closely with parents, caregivers, teachers and other specialists to help them support their children with the development of speech, language and communication skills
- working holistically as part of a trans-disciplinary team where a child's needs are complex
To be successful you will need:
- a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Speech-Language Therapy or an equivalent that meets the requirements of the New Zealand Speech-language Therapists Association
- specialist knowledge of theory, research and practice related to speech-language, child and human development, and learning and behaviour
- ability to translate specialist knowledge into practical information
- ability to co-ordinate service provision in a multi-agency, trans-disciplinary setting
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings
- the ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga
What can we offer you?
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible work environment.
In addition, our specialists tell us they value the following:
- 'The ability to make a positive difference in the lives of children, young people and their whanau and contribute to system-wide change is a huge plus'
- 'The Ministry offers a strong community of practice and the support of a large organisation so I never feel isolated or alone'
- 'I really value the ability to work closely with specialists from other disciplines. It enhances my own practice and thinking'
Help shape the future of education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Learning Support is a critical part of the Sector Enablement and Support Group in the Ministry. We are charged with leading the education sector in ensuring that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education.
Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whanau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Maori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion.
Are you ready to make a difference?
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds who will enrich our understanding of the education system.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi's guiding principles in our work for and with Maori students, their whanau, hapu and iwi.
Please review the position description by copy and pasting this link into your browser: https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/656347_JobDesc.pdf
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply now using the 'apply online' button.
For further information, please contact Jon Bowen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Sunday, 12 July 2020