1001321 Practice Lead Business Intelligence and Insights
Department of Internal Affairs
Hours: Full time
Business Group: Te Waka Aukaha/Planning Design and Assurance
Branch: Kāwai ki te Iwi / Service Delivery and Operations
Salary: $117,742 - $157,843
We’re looking for a driven Practice Lead to join our Business Intelligence & Insights team to champion and promote evidence-based decision-making across Kāwai ki te Iwi / Service Delivery and Operations branch.
Mō te tīma | About our Teams
Te Waka Aukaha / Planning Design and Assurance Group provides a range of support and enabling services to Kāwai ki te Iwi branch, including strategy development, investment and business planning; performance measurement and reporting; organisational development; service and process design; business intelligence and insights; business risk and assurance and Te Ara Vaka Pacific.
The Business Intelligence and Insights team manages the data pipeline from data development to analysis and insights to support Kāwai ki te Iwi branch. It is the branch’s analytics centre of excellence and contributes to a data-driven culture that adds value to Kāwai ki te Iwi’s services and operations. It is focused on the delivery of business intelligence products, statistical modelling and data analysis that creates valuable insights to influence operational and policy decision-making.
He angitūtanga | About the Role
Reporting to Manager Business Intelligence & Insights, this is a rare and exciting role that will be responsible for establishing best practices, leading enterprise data analytics projects, and mentoring junior analysts. The objective is to deliver data products to support decision-making, promote a data-driven culture and make a difference to the essential services we provide for Aotearoa. This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced Lead or Senior-level Data Analyst / Data Scientist who is a trusted technical expert, capable of working with a range of stakeholders and driving organisational change:
- Lead and facilitate workshops to gather requirements across the business and develop use cases for insights and reporting.
- Lead complex cross-functional data analytics projects and provide specialist advice to inform operational and policy decisions.
- Ensure an enterprise approach is undertaken, with a focus on best practices, methodology, automation, consistency and quality data from source.
- Advise on the appropriate use of data visualisation for different purposes and context.
- Support the integration of the BI environment with 3rd party tools to provide advanced analytics services (e.g. predictive, prescriptive, machine learning) and team planning activities.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other members in the team and drive
- Business Intelligence & Insights practice.
Mōu | About you
We are looking for someone who has a passion for data analytics, has great communications and people skills, is customer-focused, and willing to work in a collaborative and fast-moving environment:
- Significant experience in data analytics with a strong statistical modelling background and track record of turning data into insights to influence organisational decision-making.
- Highly proficient in programming languages such as: SAS (essential), SQL, R, Python; and experience working with BI software such as: SAS Viya, Power BI, Tableau.
- Good practise data visualisation and data storytelling skills.
- Very strong customer focus & ability to engage with business users to understand and collect their requirement.
- Proven ability to lead complex projects and working as part of a wider team to deliver successful outcomes.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to tailor complex messages to a range of non-technical audiences/stakeholders.
- Willingness and experience mentoring and supporting junior analysts.
Understanding of or experience working in an agile environment (desirable)
- Understanding of or experience applying machine learning techniques (desirable)
Applications close: 5:00PM, Monday, 4 December 2023
For more information please contact: Hien Nguyen (Hien.Nguyen@dia.govt.nz)
Job description: To review the full job description, please click here. If you are unable to follow the link, please review the full job description on our careers website.