Head of Marketing and Communications
Robert Walters have partnered with Scion to find their next Head of Marketing and Communications superstar! This role is ideally based in Rotorua and is perfect for somebody who comes with a strategic mind set and the ability to lead a team. You will be responsible for leading and implementing the marketing and communications strategy for Scion as well as ensuring that all marketing and communication activities are effective and impactful.
About the company:
Scion is a Crown Research Institute that specialises in scientific research and technology development for forestry, wood products, wood-derived materials, and other bio-material sectors. Scion is one of New Zealand’s leading research and development organisations and is home to more than 300 science and support staff on their two main campuses in Rotorua and Christchurch. Scion is at the forefront of innovative technology development for standing forests, renewables, bio-products, energy, and solutions to help lead the transition to a circular bio-economy for Aotearoa New Zealand. As a company, Scion values a culture of enabling employees to pursue innovation and excellence in delivering impact for New Zealand.
The Head of Marketing and Communications will help enable the success and impact of Scion’s Strategy to 2030 by leading a successful and well-established marketing and communications team to deliver marketing and communications with effect and appropriate reach to demonstrate the impact of Scion’s research.
Key Duties include:
- Leading the team to support Scion’s staff and output in the marketing and communications needed to deliver on Scion’s Strategy to 2030 and support the development and delivery of Scion’s business.
- Growing the awareness and impact of Scion’s brand, including through digital channels and Scion’s website, communicating effectively across a full range of platforms and technologies.
- Leading projects to successfully meet strategic and operational objectives and outcomes. Provide recommendation in the areas of marketing and communications and lead the implementation of new and existing marcomms initiatives.
- Lead and manage the strategy for identifying and proactively engaging with news media to position stories that communicate Scion’s successes and the impact of its work.
- Provide leadership, role modelling and commitment to Scion’s values, strategic priorities, and positive organisational culture.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in marketing, communications or journalism, or equivalent experience
- Experience in a leadership or senior marketing and communications role preferably within a relationship-based organisation.
- Experience in media engagement, public relations, and reputation management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact with science groups and others at all levels throughout the organisation.
- Strong conceptual ability, with the ability to take account of the commercial, financial and statutory implications of decisions.
- Proven, demonstrated writing skills.
- Experience in management, motivation and development of staff.
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team and environment.
- An awareness of forestry and the workings of the science sector would be highly beneficial.
What Scion offers:
- Flexible working options including a 9-day fortnight with work from home options.
- 40 hours per week + 4 weeks paid annual leave + 3 paid company days.
- Continuous professional development and opportunities for progression.
- Great work location on the edge of Rotorua's world famous Whakarewarewa Forest.
- Opportunities for a fulfilling career that enables outcomes for New Zealand, Aotearoa
If this sounds like a perfect opportunity, please submit your CV and cover letter and we will be in touch.