Aorere Policy InternOpportunities - 2022/2023
Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade
- Curious about global challenges and how you can make a difference for Aotearoa's place in the world?
- Let us introduce you to the world of foreign policy and a career in diplomacy
- 11-week paid internship for tauira Māori - Wellington based
We'd like to invite tauira Māori to join us this summer as an Aorere Policy Intern. Bring your whole self to this programme; your culture, reo, experiences and perspective are important!
Tīmata te whai mahi māu me mātou - Start a career with us
We'd like to invite tauira Māori to join us this summer for our Aorere Policy Internship programme. As an Aorere Policy Intern, you will gain valuable work experience and development opportunities, as well as an insight into the world of foreign policy and diplomacy. The internship is an excellent way to prepare for a graduate role with MFAT, or the wider public service.
Tūhono mai ki tā mātou hōtaka mō ngā ihumanea - Join our Internship Programme
MFAT offers a paid three-month summer Internship Programme to tauira Māori with a range of skills, experiences and degree backgrounds. This internship programme runs from November to February each year and will provide you the opportunity to be part of interesting work, and to start developing your career while you study.
As an Aorere Policy Intern, you may find yourself working on areas such as advising the government on our relations with other countries, climate change and the environment, development and humanitarian activities, the UN and human rights, trade negotiations or international security & arms control. These are all kaupapa that are important to the safety and prosperity of Aotearoa whānui including Te Iwi Māori.
Mā wai te mahi nei? - Who are we looking for?
MFAT is passionate about attracting tangata whenua and the Aorere internships are part of MFAT's efforts to provide opportunities to Māori students and young professionals to help ensure that our Foreign Ministry and its advice reflects the full diversity of Aotearoa.
For us, there's no "one size fits all" with our interns; we're looking for people who are curious about global challenges and other cultures - people who are keen to help make positive changes for New Zealand.And because relationships are at the heart of what we do, you'll enjoy working with people.
We encourage you to apply if you are:
- Studying towards a minimum of a Bachelor's level qualification - any discipline (doesn't have to be law, economics, or politics, although those fields are very welcome)
- Within your last year or two of study
- Willing and able to be based in Wellington between mid-November 2022 to mid-February 2023 (we'll fly you to Wellington if you're based elsewhere in Aotearoa)
- Able to show us your group participation skills (whether they come from cultural, community, volunteer, church, sports based or any other activities)
- A New Zealand citizen, and of Māori descent
- Able to gain and maintain an appropriate security clearance (Use this online tool to self-check your eligibility for asecurity clearance. Please note that this tool is not part of the formal security clearance process)
So, whether you have been a part of university clubs or a volunteer within your community or church or hard at work to support whānau, these are all relevant experiences! So make sure you apply!
Me pēhea te tuku tono - To apply/Interested?
Our application process will take you approx. 20 minutes, You'll need to complete the online application form and have a CV and unofficial transcript (we know this won't be your official one, so just send us where you are at so far) ready to upload. Cover letters and references are not required at this stage. Please make sure you answer all of the questions to the best of your ability!
Applications close at midnight on Sunday, 21 August 2022 (NZ standard time).
Check out our website for further details on our recruitment process and timelines. If you have any questions, please let us know - we're here to help - mā mātou koe e āwhina! Email us at: email@example.com
Kaua e whakamā. Tono mai
To view our position description please paste the following URL into your web browser: https://tinyurl.com/57v9mcww