Senior - Lead UX/UI Designer (6 month contract)
Springload Te Pipītanga
We’re looking for trusted and talented Senior UI/UX designers to work with our multi-disciplinary team on diverse and meaningful client projects, and be part of our Experience team on a contracting/freelance basis.
Who we are
Mō tō mātou āhauatanga
Springload Te Pipītanga is the largest independent digital agency in Wellington. We encourage our employees to thrive at work and at home. We’ve got great clients, challenging projects, and a friendly workspace. There are always plenty of healthy snacks available, People’s Coffee brewing, and craft beer in the fridge.
What we do and why we do it
Ā mātou mahi ō mātou mātāpono
Our purpose is to make the things that matter, better — better for people and for the planet. We follow a human-centred process, keeping the people we’re designing for at the centre of our work. We’re a multidisciplinary team, and we collaborate closely with each other and with our clients on projects that make a real impact.
We celebrate different perspectives. We're committed to creating an equal, inclusive, and diverse workplace. We know we do better work if we have a diverse mix of people on our team. We're also a certified B Corporation — ethical and environmentally sustainable practices are a huge focus for us.
We’re looking for someone who shares the same values.
We can offer you:
- a whānau-friendly, flexible workplace with potential for fully remote options within Aotearoa
- highly talented teammates who strive to create world-class experiences that make people’s lives better
- a base in central Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand, near cafes, shops, theatres, and the waterfront.
About this role
We’re looking for Senior UI/UX Designers to join our Talent Pool on a contract/freelance basis.
For this role, you'll be required to:
- solve complex UX problems, balancing user and business needs
- design from concept to detailed visual design
- communicate the value of design
- collaborate with our multidisciplinary team to create beautiful and functional things.
If you’re interested in working with us but you feel you don’t meet all the requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway — tell us why your experience is relevant to the role.
Experience and requirements
- A fundamental understanding (and love!) of visual design and typography.
- Confidence with digital design tools such as Figma.
- Expertise in brand and design systems, user interface and interaction design.
- A human-centred design mindset, with a passion for usability and accessibility.
- Ability to plan and deliver best practice HCD activities to create, prototype, validate, iterate and communicate designs.
- Ability to present and promote designs, articulating your design decisions.
- Curiosity, emotional intelligence, self-awareness and strong collaboration skills.
- A BA in Digital, Interactive or Graphic Design, or related experience.
- 4-6+ years’ experience with interactive design, ideally including experience with an organisation or agency focused on user experience.
Other experience we’d love:
- Collaboration with Front-end development teams.
- Illustration, animation and/or motion design.
- Te ao Māori, particularly from a design perspective.
Download the job description for more details of what this job typically entails. Please treat the description as a guideline only — roles and responsibilities might vary slightly.
Te Rārangi Wā
Once you apply, you can expect to hear back from us within a couple of weeks if you’re selected for an interview. We’ll keep you informed every step of the way.
How to apply
Please send us your CV with details of how your experience relates to the job description. We’d also love you to include a cover letter that tells us a bit more about yourself and why you’d like to work at Springload.
For UX, Design, and Experience Design roles, please also send us your portfolio. If you’d like further guidance on what we’re looking for, check out our blog on 10 tips for creating a slick UX and design portfolio, written by Lauren Skogstad, Head of Experience at Springload.
This role will require you to be able to work from our Wellington office, or from Wellington-based client offices, so is not suitable for fully remote working.
Please be aware that our health and safety policy requires all our team (including contractors) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in order to work in our offices or in-person with clients. To enter our office you will be asked to show your My Vaccine Pass.
If you have any questions, get in touch
Mehemeo he pātai āu, whakapā mai