Exhibition Experience Developer
Te Papa Tongarewa Museum
Exhibition Experience Developer, full-time, permanent
Te Papa is looking for an innovative Exhibition Experience Developer. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a world-leading, bicultural, cross-disciplinary museum. Here, you can make a real difference for Aotearoa New Zealand's communities, and contribute to Te Papa's reputation as a place of creativity and learning.
You'll play a key role in developing multimedia exhibitions that inspire learning for non-expert audiences, informed by their motivations and needs in the museum context. The position is one of creative rather than scholarly content oversight. You'll be involved from concept to completion, liaising with many skilled collaborators, including curators/subject experts, community members, writers, designers, digital producers, and educators.
In particular, we're looking for someone experienced working on kaupapa Māori and Pacific projects, collaborating with iwi/communities and meeting the needs of Māori and Pacific audiences.
The primary focus is likely to be on relatively complex exhibitions that are narrative-based, interactive, and immersive. However, simpler, smaller-scale projects may be involved.
Working alongside our curators and other experts, you will:
- develop and refine exhibition concepts (pinpointing the big ideas, identifying target audiences and communication objectives, driving the overall creative approach to content, and guiding cross-functional project teams)
- assess and select multimedia content-delivery solutions, generated by various expert contributors (solutions that align with the content, audience, and context; are informed by learning theory; and create a balanced, engaging experience within budget, time, and resource parameters)
- create key concept documents, pitches, and presentations to share a project's vision.
Level of experience
As in the job description, our ideal candidate would be experienced in audience-centred concept development and interpretation in museums.
However, we're open to candidates with less experience if they can demonstrate desired traits and attitudes, and if they're passionate and eager to learn. If you've worked in a creative position in a related environment (eg, education, theatre, film), or in a related role in a museum, and if you're confident telling stories across media, especially in physical ways, then we'd encourage you to apply.
In addition, we're looking for someone who's:
- committed to biculturalism and accessibility
- a big-picture thinker and doer
- positive, collaborative, and confident, with an ability to communicate concisely and convincingly
- able to adapt and thrive in contexts characterised by uncertainty, with a focus on solutions over barriers and an ability to prioritise effectively.
The position sits in the Audience and Insight Directorate, and reports to the Head of Experience Design and Content. Offers will be made to the successful candidate within the range of $80,718 to $95,853, based on their skills and experience relative to those required of the role, and to other employees.
With the current closure of Aotearoa New Zealand's borders, we will only consider applications from candidates currently residing in New Zealand. This is a permanent position and all applicants must have, and be able to maintain, the legal right to work in New Zealand.
Applications close on Sunday, 31 October 2021.
Before Te Papa confirms any offer of employment, pre-employment checks will be undertaken, including criminal-conviction history and reference checking as a minimum.
To view the job description for this role please copy and paste the following link into your browser - https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/702075_JobDesc.pdf