Director – Road to Zero
Ministry of Transport Te Manatū Waka
**This is a fixed term role until 30 June 2024 **
In December 2019, the Government released Road to Zero: New Zealand’s new road safety strategy for 2020-2030, and an initial three-year action plan. Our vision for road safety is a New Zealand where no one is killed or seriously injured in road crashes. A key focus is development and implementation of supporting action plans.
The first action plan for 2020-2022 sets out 15 actions under the Strategy’s five focus areas. A range of agencies are responsible for leading on different actions, or on the different components within individual actions, including the Ministry of Transport, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and NZ Police.
A cross-agency Road to Zero Governance Group is being set up to support the overall governance structure for the delivery of the Strategy and Action Plan. The Governance Group is made up of senior officials from the Ministry of Transport, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and the New Zealand Police who have responsibility for road safety activities within their organisation. The Road to Zero Governance Group will be responsible for:
- cross-agency oversight and implementation of Road to Zero
- ensuring that the work being delivered aligns with the strategic direction of the Strategy
- managing any significant impacts to the Strategy and mitigating any system-wide risks, based on performance monitored against key road safety indicators and through annual monitoring reports.
We are looking to appoint a Director who will have direct responsibility, working across road safety partner agencies, for overseeing the implementation and delivery of Road to Zero. The Director will work across the transport system to enable effective governance and co-ordination over the delivery of Road to Zero. The Director will engage with Ministers, chief executives, and stakeholders to provide timely and high impact advice on the implementation of Road to Zero. The Director role will also provide leadership in establishing and managing the Road to Zero Governance Group that has overall responsibility for overseeing Road to Zero.
The Director plays a lead role in supporting governance, managing relationships and stakeholder engagement, driving delivery, reporting progress and helping to manage risks across Road to Zero. The Director will provide system leadership to ensure the Road to Zero strategy and actions are being effectively implemented. The role will also support the development of advice to Minsters and senior officials on cross system issues relating to the delivery and implementation of Road to Zero.
The Director, supported by the Road to Zero Portfolio Manager, will work closely with the workstream leads on individual actions, to drive successful delivery of the entire portfolio. The Director will support the Road to Zero Governance Group by identifying and reporting on portfolio performance, risks and opportunities.
The Director is responsible for:
- supporting the Road to Zero Governance Group to effectively guide the strategic direction and delivery of Road to Zero. This includes establishing and managing the secretariat to support the Governance Group
- working across road safety partner agencies, including with chief executives and senior leaders across the transport system, to facilitate successful delivery of the Road to Zero portfolio through effective governance, oversight and reporting. This includes identifying opportunities for achieving greater co-ordination and integration of delivery across road safety partner agencies
- developing and informing advice to senior officials and Ministers on the overall delivery and performance of the Road to Zero strategy
- acting as an advocate across the portfolio to promote and raise issues that advance the vision and priorities in Road to Zero
- effectively engaging with, and managing, strategic stakeholder relationships to support and build public understanding of the Road to Zero
- supporting regular system level monitoring and reporting against the Road to Zero outcomes framework to track progress
- supporting the Ministry of Transport as the policy system lead in the development of future action plans and changes to the Road to Zero strategy.
The salary step range is $184,779 - $246,372, depending on experience. This will be assessed at interview stage.
What you will bring
In this fast paced and exciting role, you will bring an ability to see the big picture and work at a system level to drive the deliver of strategies and outcomes. You will also bring experience at a senior level in building and maintaining effective partnerships across agencies and stakeholders, including working with Ministers and senior officials. You will bring an understanding of policy with an ability to translate strategy into action. Previous experience in a leadership role will be essential.
What we offer
It is an exciting time to join the Ministry as we continue to increase our capability and take a lead in driving the delivery of critical priorities across the transport system. You will be given the opportunity to work across the transport system with senior leaders and stakeholders to drive transformational change in New Zealand’s road safety performance. You will also get exposure working on, and influencing, high profile programmes of work that contribute to the vision and priorities in Road to Zero. In this role, you will get to see the direct impact of your work in improving outcomes for all New Zealanders.
We pride ourselves on maintaining a work culture that is inclusive, collaborative, bold and invested. Our waterfront offices further enhances the Ministry’s working environment. We are flexible by default and can offer work arrangements which embrace a healthy work/life balance.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this role at the Ministry of Transport.
To read more about the role please download and review the position description and for specific queries, contact Robert Anderson on 022 019 1246.
Please submit your application online including a cover letter and CV by Sunday 3rd October 2021.