Senior Design Analyst
Mō mātou | About Us
As New Zealand's national statistics office, Tatauranga Aotearoa Stats NZ is uniquely positioned to support the decisions that the Government, Māori and Iwi organisations, businesses, NGO's and New Zealanders make every day. Our structure, culture and systems are designed with collaboration and customers in mind - mobilised and working together to realise our ambition: About Aotearoa, for Aotearoa - data that improves lives today and for generations to come.
Mō te tūnga | The role
We are looking for a permanent Senior Design Analyst to join the Population Insights unit. The unit produces data and insights about the New Zealand population, including international travel and migration, population estimates, population projections, and vital statistics (such as life tables, births, deaths). We also conduct the Post-Enumeration Survey, which checks the accuracy of coverage in the census.
As a senior analyst you will work across all these areas, coordinating with the other senior analysts in the unit to identify priorities and drive change. You will provide a high level of statistical expertise, technical leadership and advice across the unit and the wider organisation. You will also lead and contribute to future-focused discussions, increasing the value we can provide to our customers.
You'll be responsible for researching, designing, and implementing a range of innovative statistical, data and analytical solutions to support and inform all stages of the data and statistics lifecycle. You will establish strong connections with your peers across the Official Statistics System and with the international statistical community. You'll also play a key role in the development of other analysts as a coach and mentor.
The role can be based in Christchurch or Wellington
Starting salary: $89,177 - $104,914, negotiable
Mōu | About you
With a balance of developed personal attributes and technical knowledge, this role would suit someone who is a technical leader, energetic, driven, and a real team player with excellent communication skills. We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Proven professional leadership in the population and/or social statistics domain
- Experience in designing and implementing new methods or processes
- A future focused, problem solving and continuous development perspective
- The ability to work with a wide range of data sources, methods and concepts, and identify and lead the way with new opportunities and new ways of working
- Great communication skills, including the ability to bridge technical and non-technical discussions and the ability to produce high quality documentation
- A strong understanding of relevant analytical process and tools, such as R, SAS or Python
- The ability to present and contribute to thinking across the data ecosystem and internationally
- Knowledge/familiarity or a commitment to learning/understanding Te Ao Māori, in order to understand and contribute meaningful work and outcomes for Māori communities.
You'll be joining an inclusive environment where people, regardless of gender, race, disability, religion or background are supported to be able to do their best work. This includes:
- Exciting and meaningful work that makes a difference to Aotearoa
- Opportunity to develop and grow your career
- Flexible by default, balance life and work commitments
- An environment that's safe, where you can be yourself
- 3 departmental leave days (usually taken over Christmas office closure)
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
If the above matches your skills and experience, don't delay, click apply now.
Any questions that haven't been answered in this advert or the position description or if you have difficulty with your application please email email@example.com
We will be screening applications as we receive them in order to move swiftly to interview shortly after the advert closes on Sunday 26th September but may be removed earlier depending on applications. You may be asked to complete a pre-interview screen as part of our recruitment process.
Check out our careers site to find out more about Tatauranga Aotearoa Stats NZ.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: unsolicited CVs will not be accepted, see our careers site for our process.
You must have the right to live and work in Aotearoa New Zealand to apply for this job.