Kaitohutohu/Kaitohutohu Matua | Advisor/Senior Advisor - Ministerial Services | Flexible
Ministry for the Environment
- Join our new Ministerial Centre of Excellence team
- Flexible working to support your work-life balance
- Multiple roles available
Our purpose - He taiao tōnui mō ngā reanga katoa - a flourishing environment for every generation – be part of this exciting journey.
Mō tēnei tūrangi mahi | About this role
Our organisation is growing and we are strengthening our team to ensure we meet the demands of our business. We are looking for experienced Advisors and Senior Advisors to join our high performing team.
In these roles, you will be involved in providing advice on managing risk, OIA requests and Parliamentary Questions, and drafting high quality Ministerial correspondence. You will also provide high quality support to staff in the Environment and Associate Ministers and Climate Minister's offices and internal Ministry for the Environment staff.
Kaitohutohu | Advisor
We are looking for experienced Advisors who are genuinely interested in all things government and issuing advice to support those processes.
Key accountabilities include:
- providing advice to the business for responding to Official Information Act requests
- providing advice and guidance on ministerial items and government processes
- facilitating the development of high quality and timely written work
- coordinating and reviewing the Ministry's proactive release programme and products.
Kaitohutohu Matua | Senior Advisor
We are looking for experienced, forward thinking Senior Advisors to provide proactive and strategic ministerial advice across the Ministry.
There will be lots of opportunities for you to scope and lead key projects, as we strive to improve the service we provide. A key focus of the role will be to identify and drive opportunities for improvement and build capability within the team.
We are seeking Senior-level practitioners who enjoy mentoring, developing and managing key senior relationships, and producing high-quality work to join our team.
The roles are highly collaborative and you will need the confidence to develop and manage relationships at all levels across the Ministry, as well as those outside the organisation.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
Our ideal candidates will bring:
- commitment to developing your cultural capability and capacity in te ao Māori
- strong written and verbal communication skills
- thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- prioritisation and organisational ability
- strong attention to detail
- able to remain calm under pressure
- an ability to deal with ambiguity
- the ability to follow processes, systems and instruction
- knowledge or understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi and te ao Maori.
Senior Advisor candidates:
- sound working knowledge of the Official Information Act and Cabinet Office guidance
- excellent understanding of the Machinery of Government and the policy making process
- a high level of public sector and political savvy
- strong stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence at all levels.
Most importantly, you will be a fast learner, have a great work ethic, attitude and be a team player.
Mō mātou | About us
The Ministry's purpose - He taiao tōnui mō ngā reanga katoa - a flourishing environment for every generation.
- a flexible by default approach to support your work-life balance
- agile working, allowing you variety and challenges across the organisation as we work as ‘One MfE'
- generous leave entitlements
- training to competently and effectively engage with Māori as our Treaty Partner, this includes te reo me ona tikanga Māori courses
- active social club and employee networks, including a Māori staff network
- opportunities for development and education.
A key priority for the Ministry is Te Ao Māori. This means we work with our Treaty partner to advance Māori priorities for the environment and for environmental success. We will be confident and coordinated in our ongoing engagement with Māori and lead the natural resources system in engaging for success with tangata whenua. We will grow our capability and capacity to accurately reflect Māori views in our work.
We embrace diversity and inclusion and are committed to equal opportunities. What's important to us is ‘he rau kotahi tangata' – embracing our multiple talents – by harnessing our diversity and being inclusive. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds.
The location for this role is flexible which means you can work from anywhere in New Zealand. As a flexible friendly employer, we are happy to discuss options that may work for you and the business. We value and care about enabling our people to work in a way that means they can work at their best.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
Apply directly by completing the online application form and submit your CV and cover letter. Note: your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the key skills required for this role.
If you require further information about the role please contact Debbie Bell at Debbie.Bell@mfe.govt.nz
Advisor: $73,280 to $89,565 pa
Senior Advisor: $101,802 to $124,424 pa
Appointment within these ranges will be based on skills and experience.
Rā Katinga | Applications close: Thursday, 23 September 2021