Human Resources Manager
The Salvation Army Te Ope Whakaora
- Lead and grow a dynamic HR and payroll team
- Opportunity to lead as well as practice your craft (strategic and operational)
- Provide thought leadership to The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army Te Ope Whakaora is a world-wide evangelical Christian church and human service provider that assists over 140,000 New Zealanders every year providing a wide range of community services, such as food banks, family stores, early childhood centres, hostels and addiction treatment centres.
The HR team provides a wide range of operational and strategic HR support to around 2,000 employees and 400 Salvation Army Officers, as well as nearly 4,000 volunteers, across over 150 locations nationwide.
As HR Manager, you will lead a small high-performing, collaborative and innovative HR team whose mission is to partner with the business to drive lasting engagement and change. The team of six is small in relation to the size of the organisation, but there are currently plans in place for growth, so it’s an exciting time for a new HR Manager to “stamp their mark!”.
You’ll be responsible for the strategic planning, development and delivery of HR services and advice, ensuring appropriate systems and frameworks are in place to enable the effective and optimal management of HR, and continuous improvement of those systems and frameworks.
In addition to HR/ER work, the team also has a number of proactive projects on the go. In particular, they are on the journey to implement The Salvation Army’s Strategic Mission Plan for Māori and are committed to embedding this within their HR policies and practice. Their current recruitment and engagement projects provide significant scope in this area.
The HR Manager reports to a member of the Territorial Management Board and is based at Territorial Headquarters on Cuba Street, Wellington.
This is a pivotal role within a busy and diverse environment, which will provide the opportunity to work with a wide variety of interesting, talented and highly committed professionals.
The HR team values the importance of providing a prompt and quality service to their managers. They have built good working relationships and trust with their managers and work well together to work through HR/ER issues. As such, it’s of the utmost importance for the HR Manager to be relational and solutions focused.
You’ll know your craft well, and have the drive, desire and skills to help shape the future of a national organisation. You’ll love your customer and know when to put the textbook aside and deliver people and capability solutions that will help make this unique organisation one of the best in New Zealand.
Knowledge of Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, bi-culturalism and experience in embedding these principles within HR policy and practice will be advantageous. This will enable you to provide advice to managers and develop policies that help The Salvation Army to attract Māori and Pasifika staff and increase Māori participation and engagement in their workforce.
- A track record of excellence in delivering an HR programme of work
- Experience in the full HR lifecycle including OD and ER
- Sound knowledge of HR best practice, with the confidence and ability to deliver advice and guidance at all levels of the organisation
- Experience in leading collective bargaining
- A strong leader, with proven people management expertise
- A collaborative approach with exceptional relationship management skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- Superior oral and written communication skills, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution capabilities
- Ability to present credibly on HR matters to senior management and at Board level
- High level of initiative with effective planning, project management and organisational abilities
- Budget experience
- Understanding and empathy towards the mission and values of The Salvation Army
Applications close: 5.00pm Sunday 19 September 2021
Applications to: Kirsty McLaren via mclaren.co.nz
Position description: Attached below