Kaiwhakaohotia, Innovation Lead
Ember Innovations Limited
He angitūtanga: The opportunity
Ember Innovations is changing our systems to better support innovation in our mental health sector. Part of the Ember Korowai Takitini group, we’re working alongside Ember Services and Ember Housing to change the way Aotearoa understands and responds to mental distress. Ember Innovations works outside the publicly funded services, meaning we have the freedom to truly innovate and support change makers to maximise their impact.
We’re working to ensure that by 2030 every person in Aotearoa can access the wellbeing support they need, by supporting entrepreneurial innovators to develop and scale impactful offerings. We’re building a community of innovators, improving their support, mobilising resource around unmet needs, and advocating for a more inclusive and innovative mental health system.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the founding team, operationalise our strategy, ensuring that we’re embedding worldviews indigenous to Aotearoa New Zealand throughout our kaupapa.
Te kaupapa: The nature of the position
You’ll take the lead on building the pipeline of entrepreneurial innovators, and work closely with underrepresented communities to encourage more innovators to realise their dreams.
- Lead a team of innovators to test approaches to shift our system that supports new mental health innovations
- Integrate Te Ao Māori through the use of te reo and tikanga conceptual thinking into our practice and approach with priority communities, alongside your colleagues
- Build and nurture a broader community of innovators, supporters, and collaborators through regular communications and events alongside our marketing & events guru(s)
- Secure and manage relationships with key partners and community groups to deliver on your goals
- Knowing we’re having an impact is central to our work, so you’ll continually review the effectiveness and sustainability of our mahi to learn and adapt
- Influence and collaborate on the strategic direction of our other mahi, including our startup support programme, catalysing capital, and advocating for structural change to our mental wellbeing system
He kōrero mōu: About you
- Passionate about, and experienced in leading systems change and catalysing innovation
- User-centred approach, with a natural rapport and relationship building abilities
- Deep empathy and passion for improving mental wellbeing outcomes across Aotearoa—we value and welcome people with lived experience of mental distress and addiction, though it’s not a requirement
- Active learner, ready to take on new challenges, and make your ideas a reality
- Excellent communication and project management skills to deliver results within a multicultural team
- Ability to adapt and work flexibly in a changing environment, ensuring learnings are celebrated along the way
- Knowledge of Te Reo me ona tikanga and/or Pasifika cultural fluency to engage and maintain trust with priority communities
- Collaborative team player and experienced leader of people, projects, ideas
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What we offer
We’re a small, dynamic team passionate about dramatically improving mental wellbeing support across Aotearoa. We’re embedding indigenous world views and lived experience at our core. As a startup we’re not afraid to get stuck in, and we’re excited for you to make your mark on our direction!
We work flexibly, with a collaborative studio in Otahuhu, Tāmaki Makaurau, and occasional travel within Aotearoa is likely.
Our people are critical to our success. We put our own oxygen masks on before we help others, and we invest in you to thrive with us.
You will have heard it before, but this truly is a unique role that doesn't come around often!
Te tono: How to apply
Send your expression of interest to Kiaora@emberinnovations.nz including a cover letter telling us why you’re critical to future of ember innovations and Aotearoa’s mental health innovators!