Principal Methodologist x 2
About Us | Mō mātou
As New Zealand's national statistics office, Tatauranga Aotearoa Stats NZ is uniquely positioned to support the decisions that the Government, Māori and Iwi organisations, businesses, NGO's and New Zealanders make every day. Our structure, culture and systems are designed with collaboration and customers in mind - mobilised and working together to realise our ambition: About Aotearoa, for Aotearoa - data that improves lives today and for generations to come.
The roles | Mō te tūnga
There are two Principal Methodologist positions available across our Business Group:
Strategic Response - The Statistical Methods Strategic Response team provides analysis to help resolve current organisation wide strategic issues or priorities, and ensuring Statistical Methods is prepared for future needs. This team provides direct advice and support to the Chief and Deputy Chief Methodologist, and work with many different units within Stats NZ.
Household Surveys - This busy team provides methodological support to most of the household surveys for Statistics NZ. Currently we are expanding the household survey program so that the Government Statistician will be able to report annually on ten measures of child poverty as stated in the Child Poverty Reduction Act 2018 - this means that we are developing a longitudinal survey to meet this need.
Starting salary: $110,614 - $130,134 negotiable, depending on the successful applicant's experience.
About you | Mōu
As a highly skilled technical leader; with a deep knowledge of statistics (or a related discipline), you'll bring a sound working knowledge of statistical design. The Strategic Response Principal Methodologist role requires strong statistical consultancy skills in a broad range of topics, whereas the Household Surveys Principal Methodologist role requires a deep understanding of household or longitudinal social survey methodology and their processes.
You'l bring a strong customer focus, be comfortable with ambiguity and change, and sound decision-making ability to this role. Therefore, with a balance of developed personal attributes and 'expert' level technical knowledge, you'll:
- Play a strong role in shaping the Statistical Methodsand organisational research program alongside other Principal Methodologists and Principal Statisticians
- Facilitate long-term benefits for our customers and stakeholders
- Actively scan for opportunities to apply methodologies (particularly new methodologies) to real-world problems
- Be a critical voice for end-to-end methodology cohesion
- Provide coaching and mentoring to methodologists
- Knowledge / familiarity or a commitment to learning/understanding Te Ao Māori, in order to understand and contribute meaningful work and outcomes for Māori communities
- Bring a Te Ao Māori perspective to statistical methodology and your work
In addition to the methodological skills and experience, it would be desirable for those interested to have:
- The ability to communicate technical information in plain English
- The ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships including with those outside of Stats NZ
- A proven ability to coach and mentor technical staff
- The ability to drive work forward despite challenge.
You'll be joining an inclusive environment where people, regardless of gender, race, disability, religion or background are supported to do their best work. This includes:
- Opportunity to develop and grow your career
- Balanced life and work commitments (37.5 hour working week
- 3 departmental leave days (usually taken over Christmas office closure
- An environment that's safe, where you can be yourself
- Health and wellbeing support
- City based offices that cater to a variety of working styles and needs
How to apply | Me pēhea te tuku tono
If the above matches your skills and experience, don't delay, apply today. We will be screening applications as we receive them, and the advert will stay open until we fill the positions.
Any questions that haven't been answered in this advert or the position description or if you have difficulty with your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
View our careers page for more info on the process.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: unsolicited CVs will not be accepted, see our careers page for more info.
You must have the right to live and work in Aotearoa New Zealand to apply for this job.