Manager – Property Strategy & Planning
Ministry of Justice
Consultant Bradley Minnema
Robert Walters has exclusively been engaged to search for a new Manager - Property strategy and Planning.
Justice is the foundation of any democratic society and New Zealand has one of the most trusted public services in the world. At the Ministry of Justice, we work as one team to provide a great service to the public every day.
We lead the justice sector and our role is wide-ranging – we administer the courts, the legal aid system and the Public Defence Service. We provide policy advice to the government and advise on legislation relating to the courts, justice system and New Zealand’s constitution. We also negotiate Treaty of Waitangi settlements for the Crown and administer the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act.
Our team of over 3000 work across the country and are passionate about making a difference for New Zealanders. They work for an organisation which values excellence and service and treats people with integrity and respect, and they make a difference and change people’s lives.
When you join us, you’ll play an important part in helping to keep our communities safe and ensuring our justice system is fair and credible. We work together to ensure a safe and just New Zealand.
About the role:
The Property Strategy & Planning team has broad range of pre-project responsibilities. These fall into four main areas; managing commercial leasing arrangements, planning future property capital investment, investigating potential projects and reporting on carbon reduction.
Your role will be to lead the team and provide oversight across those four key areas as well as other critical pieces of work as directed by the GM Commercial and Property.
- Lead the Property Strategy & Planning Team.
- Provide guidance, oversight of the Property Strategy & Planning Teams work programme.
- Ensure the Property Strategy & Planning team understands and adheres to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Understand the commercial leasing environment and work with agents to find suitable new leases.
- Provide leadership on negotiations for new and renewed leases.
- Approve operational expenditure on leased buildings.
- Provide a Ministry presence at Government Property Group meetings to engage with the future of Government leased property.
- Work with relevant parties on Treaty settlement process that affect Ministry property.
- Oversee and maintain a property strategy for the Ministry.
- Prepare, Maintain and Improve the 10-year property capital plan.
- Lead the annual internal capital budget bid process for Commercial and Property.
- Oversee and deliver business cases and cabinet papers and to support the property capital programme.
- Work with the wider property team to triage potential future property projects.
- Oversee appropriate expenditure of Opex in association with project investigation.
- Advise on appropriate pathways for major capital projects, including business case pathways.
- Provide guidance to the team planning carbon reduction across the Ministry.
- Provide advice to the property team on improved practice within the capital delivery programme to reduce carbon as part of the property portfolio.
- Relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent knowledge, skills and experience and a demonstrable commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Sound understanding of project development.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate at senior levels of organisations.
- Good understanding of programme and project delivery methodologies and processes.
- Working knowledge of governance and corporate decision making.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to exercise sound judgement, organisational awareness and political sensitivity.
- Welcome and value diversity and contribute to an inclusive working environment where differences are acknowledged and respected.
- Experience leading a high performing professional team.
- Experience in property projects or infrastructure development projects.
- Experience of working in a complex multi-stakeholder environment that uses structured programme and project practices to plan and deliver change.
- Experience of supporting business case development and other project management artefacts.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Bradley Minnema on 04 471 9774.