Adviser - Economist
Ministry of Transport
Do you have an economics background, with the necessary skills and experience to provide insights and understanding on how the transport system influences, and is influenced by, other areas such as the economy, the environment and wider society?
The Ministry of Transport is the Government’s lead adviser on transport policy. We are a small but agile Ministry – which is perfect if you are after a chance to shine!
Our Domain Strategy, Economics & Evaluation team provides strategic and operational advice to the Ministry around economics, evaluation and research. One of our goals is to have an organisation-wide impact by helping to lead strategic projects across the Ministry and the transport sector in relation to our core discipline areas.
About the role
We are looking for an Adviser - Economist to join us in a full-time role, within our Domain Strategy, Economics and Evaluation (DSEE) team. In this role you will be working alongside economists, researchers and policy advisers in a stimulating, collegial and fast-moving environment providing expert economic advice and analysis, to support and contribute to the development of sound policy.
You will have the opportunity to work on:
- Undertaking economic analysis, cost benefit analysis, appraisal and assessment and evaluation,
- Undertaking policy analysis, leading development of innovative, practical and durable policy options (including through engagement with stakeholders), and providing authoritative policy advice often in areas that are complex and sensitive
- Reviewing research proposals and reports to ensure quality and continuity of research and development in the field of transport economics, appraisal, evaluation and related fields
The work the team covers is wide ranging, some current examples include:
- Assisting development and assessment of the transport part of the Emission Reduction Plan and providing advice on their economic and environmental impacts
- Developing and/ or implementing new appraisal and assessment methodologies to, ensure better consideration of social and equity related issues relating to transport investment
- Advising on possible transport projects and their economic impacts
We are looking for an Adviser with an Economics background, with an understanding of developing, implementing and managing data, information and/or analytical strategies, projects and/or programmes.
You will bring a strength for relationship management, strong communication and problem-solving skills, along with your ability to work autonomously and meet deadlines - these are key to our team!
You will be expected to take ownership of your role and will be well supported not only within the team but across the Ministry.
What we offer
There’s a lot of opportunity here. We’re a small, friendly agency, working in a fast-paced environment on significant programmes of work.
We pride ourselves on maintaining a work culture that is inclusive, collaborative, bold and invested. Our waterfront offices further enhances the Ministry’s working environment. We are flexible by default and can offer work arrangements which embrace a healthy work/life balance.
The salary step range is: $68,000 - $95,000. The successful candidate will be appointed at a salary which reflects individual skills and experience
How to apply
To read more about the role please download and review the position description and for specific queries, contact Erin Wynne, Manager - Domain Strategy, Economics & Evaluation on +64 21 810 636.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich our understanding of the transport system.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for these roles
To apply please submit your CV and cover letter before Thursday 5th August 2021.