We’re looking for a seasoned and pragmatic Front-end Developer to join the Springload whānau as a permanent team member.
Who we are
Mō tō mātou āhauatanga
The Springload Te Pipītanga whānau is the largest independent digital agency in Wellington. We encourage our employees to thrive at work and at home. We’ve got great clients, challenging projects, and a friendly workspace. There’s always plenty of healthy snacks available, People’s Coffee brewing, and craft beer in the fridge.
What we do and why we do it
Ā mātou mahi ō mātou mātāpono
Our purpose is to make the things that matter better — better for people and for the planet. We follow a human-centred process, keeping the people we’re designing for at the centre of the work. We’re a multidisciplinary team, we collaborate closely with each other and with our clients on projects that make an impact on real lives.
We celebrate different perspectives. We're committed to creating an equal, inclusive, and diverse workplace. We know we do better work if we have a diverse mix of people on our team. We're also a certified B Corporation — ethical and environmentally sustainable practices are a huge focus for us.
We’re looking for someone who shares the same values.
We can offer you:
- a whānau-friendly, flexible workplace, with the ability to work from home
- a learning and growth budget to support your professional aspirations, and a wellness package to keep you physically and mentally fit
- highly talented teammates who strive to create world-class experiences that make people's lives better
- opportunities to get involved in internal initiatives you care about, such as our sustainability group, waiata practice, and mental health chats
- a base in central Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand, near cafes, shops, theatres, and the waterfront.
About this role
We're looking for a pragmatic Front-end Developer who can communicate ideas with clarity and empathy to clients and colleagues. Working alongside a multi-disciplinary team, this role will have input at all levels of a project and will involve collaboration and independent work. Being able to operate at a high level in an agency environment is key to this role.
While we value formal qualifications they’re not essential. We value proven experience, demonstrable analytical thinking, and great communication skills.
Typical responsibilities for a Front-end Developer include:
- estimating tasks, features, and projects to help us plan effectively
- working closely with others in the Technical team to ensure all work meets our high standards and follows established best-practice processes and methodology
- working closely with other disciplines to efficiently deliver client projects that meet the required outcomes
- supporting the team in developing, maintaining, and documenting our frameworks, tools, and code libraries
- contributing to project documentation and code reuse
- training others, providing meaningful and helpful input, and reviewing the work of your peers and juniors
- helping clients and other Springloaders understand the issues around projects and enable them to communicate these clearly
- building and maintaining excellent working relationships with stakeholders and clients to enable collaboration and achieve outcomes in line with Springload’s business goals
- maintaining websites and testing changes across a range of browsers and devices.
This is a list of the relevant skills and experience needed for the role of Front-end Developer. If this sounds like you but you don’t meet all the requirements listed below, please apply and tell us why your experience is relevant to the role.
- Core front-end skills.
- Ability to communicate front-end development matters clearly to other team members, clients, and partners.
- Understanding of browser, platform, device, performance, and accessibility constraints.
- Accessibility (especially WCAG).
- Large-scale CSS architecture (BEM, Styled Components) and Design Systems:
- CSS templating (Sass, CSS-in-JS).
- Basic understanding of functional and object oriented programming concepts.
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in client-side JS stacks.
- Client-side frameworks such as React.
- Browser web development tools.
- Architecting front-end codebases in server-side web development stacks.
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle, agile, and waterfall methodologies.
- Familiarity with version control via Git, continuous integration, issue trackers, wikis, and pull request workflows.
Other experiences we'd love
These are extra experiences and that would be beneficial, but not essential for the role of Front-end Developer.
- Experience with content management systems or e-commerce platforms.
- Familiarity with front-end build tools and task runners (Webpack, Snowpack, etc).
- Familiarity with software testing – unit tests, integration tests.
- Understanding of RESTful principles and HTTP verbs.
- Understanding of GraphQL.
- Working knowledge of the Unix command line and a shell of your choice.
- Basic knowledge of design software (Figma), comfortable working with vectors and SVG.
- Experience designing user interfaces with a user experience (UX) approach.
- Understanding of fundamentals of typography.
- Ability to do basic server administration from the command line.
- Familiarity with server-side programming stacks (we use Python, Ruby, PHP and Node).
- Experience with the Django framework, and Wagtail CMS.
- Experience working with style guides and pattern libraries.
- Familiarity with web development and open-source communities.
- Advanced HTML and CSS knowledge.
- Advanced knowledge of React – client-side routing, code splitting, etc.
- Advanced testing skills – accessibility tests, automated cross-browser tests, automated UI regression.
- Familiarity with other development stacks and platforms (iOS, Android, .NET, etc).
Te Rārangi Wā
We’re excited to welcome a new team member as soon as we can. Once you apply, you can expect to hear back from us within a couple of weeks if you’re selected for an interview. We’ll keep you informed every step of the way.
How to apply
Please talk about how your experience relates to the job description in your CV. We’d also love you to include a cover letter and tell us a bit more about yourself and why you’d like to work at Springload.
Due to current immigration restrictions, we will only be accepting applications for this role from people already in Aotearoa/New Zealand.
If you have any questions, get in touch
Mehemeo he pātai āu, whakapā mai