Operations Manager- Kauri Protection
Ministry for Primary Industries
Consultant Charlotte Holmes
Job Ref 1543230/001
The Ministry for Primary Industries works to safeguard New Zealanders’ way of life well in to the future. To ensure this, we have a vision where New Zealand is the world’s most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products. The Kauri protection team is establishing a Kauri Protection Agency, within Biosecurity New Zealand, to lead and co-ordinate the work required to protect our nationally significant kauri trees.
About the role:
We are seeking an enthusiastic collaborator to lead and support the delivery of kauri protection work across the kauri lands. This role will require engagement with Iwi, Maori organisations, Council, and various other groups, to support innovation, best practice and the application of national standards.
A key focus is supporting on the ground delivery and will include oversight of up to three staff who are directly supporting mana whenua and others in the kauri protection work. This includes working closely with the kauri protection team’s Science Lead and Business Manager roles.
Experience and qualifications in biosecurity, environment or conservation may provide an advantage, but operational leadership experience with an improvement focus is the key.
What will you be doing?:
- Ensure the work programme is on track by using regular monitoring, assessment, and reporting
- Manage up to three dispersed staff who are supporting on the ground delivery
- Working with the Senior Manager to deliver the Kauri Protection Science Plan
- Apply a broad understanding of science concepts and methodologies as they relate to kauri, including research skills and writing/policy skills
- Knowledge of intervention design, including the identification, planning, design and oversight of specific interventions focussed on addressing emerging issues and risks and improving performance
- Work closely with other team members, Iwi, Hapu/whanau and stakeholder delivery teams
- Provide operational management, including contributing to budget planning and reporting, ensuring cost centre budget is managed appropriately and team stays within resource and budget limits
- Work across boundaries to promote a culture of collaboration across the directorate through regular communication and engagement with other functions and Industry Partners
Experience you will have:
- An understanding of biosecurity and/or conservation concepts and methodologies
- Experience and knowledge of a range of interventions focused on managing risks and improving performance of systems through processes, monitoring, compliance and reporting
- Proven experience managing multiple projects and coordinating deliverables
- An understanding of the operations of central and/or local government in New Zealand
- Ability to work confidently with manawhenua
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage time to deliver excellent results
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills including proven ability to adapt quickly to meet audience needs
- Excellent working knowledge of the suite of Microsoft Office products the ability to pick up new technology quickly
This role will give you the opportunity to lead and be at the forefront of working to ensure New Zealand’s kauri forests are protected for years to come. You will be challenged, whilst growing your skills and abilities in the operational delivery space, which will have a hugely tangible benefit to New Zealand.
Ideally you will be comfortable being based in Whangarei/Northland or Auckland.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Charlotte Holmes on 04 471 9734.