Senior Policy Advisor
Gisborne District Council
Senior Policy Advisor - Climate Change Focus
Gisborne District Council works together with our communities to make our aspirations happen. Our community have told us about the importance they place on their environment and their connection to it for identity, culture, work, play and family. It is a key part of our story. The next chapter of our story needs us to be climate-resilient and reduce our emissions.
We strive to ensure that our suite of strategies, plans and policies are ready for the opportunities, challenges and pressures here and now and in the future. Climate change will impact all areas of our business and our strategies, plans and policies need to enable an evidence-based transition to a climate-resilient and low-emissions future.
Climate change and our response to it, nationally and locally, will shape the future of our communities. Council is looking to increase our climate change expertise and to develop a robust work programme around climate change adaptation, mitigation, and leadership. To make this happen we are currently seeking a Senior Policy Advisor – Climate Change to join our Strategic Planning Team.
To be successful in these roles you will demonstrate:
- At least four years of experience in a policy position within a government agency or the local government sector.
- Experience in climate change policy or another discipline with a climate change focus.
- Knowledge of policy development processes and issues identification.
- Skills to engage and collaborate with stakeholders and mana whenua.
- Understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi (Treaty of Waitangi) as it relates to policy development.
- A sound understanding of climate change issues, and a relevant tertiary qualification.
- A basic knowledge of working in partnership with tangata whenua or at least a willingness to learn.
We want you to become part of our incredible team to deliver our varied work programme.
Ultimately we are about delivering on our organisation’s vision of Piritahi Tairāwhiti – making our people proud.
This is great opportunity to have a hand in shaping the future of the Tairāwhiti Region and its response to climate change.
If this sounds like you, please apply now with your resume and cover letter.
For further information or a confidential conversation please contact: Charlotte Knight, Principal Advisor Integrated Strategy.
Applications close: 10am Wednesday 19 May 2021.