Principal Advisor Māori
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
- Newly created Principal Advisor role with relationship management expertise
- Strategy led, you can influence, own and contribute to long term plans
- Bring your passion for partnering with Māori
- Multiple locations
About us | Ko wai mātou
The Transport Agency recognises and respects Te Tiriti o Waitangi and will work with Māori to build strong, meaningful and enduring relationships to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
At the NZ Transport Agency, we have revitalised our organisation because the world is changing, and we are working to better meet the needs of New Zealand. Technology is making rapid changes to the way people connect and the transport choices we have, and customers and businesses want faster, easier and more personalised transport services. We're revitalising so we can make the most of the future opportunities whilst recognising and providing for our cultural heritage as envisaged by Te Tiriti o Waitangi – join us.
The NZ Transport Agency's new Māori Strategy “Te Ara Kotahi” provides strategic direction to the Transport Agency on how we work with and respond to Māori as the Crown's Treaty partner, and what this means for how we do business.
The opportunity | Te Whiwhinga mahi
As Principal Advisor, Māori you will lead Te Rōpū Waeture (our regulatory services group) to give life to the ambitions expressed in Tū ake Tū māia (regulatory strategy) to embrace and be guided by key principles from Te Ao Māori as we develop into a unique, best practice Aotearoa regulator.
As Principal Advisor, you will have wide discretion to develop a plan to give effect to the commitments we have made in Tū ake Tū māia, Te Kāpehu (Waka Kotahi strategic direction) and Te Ara Kotahi (Waka Kotahi Māori Strategy).
Comfortable working across a range of stakeholder groups, with established credibility, you will bring a strong understanding of Te Ao Māori and a well versed ability to build strategic plans and visions working within public office.
This position will require you to be at our Wellington offices regularly as well as travel the country as part of your role, however you don't need to necessarily be based in Wellington to be considered. Please consider whether regular travel is something you can consider before applying.
About you | Mōu Ake
To be successful here and in this role you will bring:
- Experience in developing long term plans for central/local government
- In depth knowledge and understanding of tikanga Māori and Te Reo Māori
- An understanding of how to turn strategy into tactical outcomes within complex environments
- A credible and robust approach, with strong experience in influencing, collaborating and building credibility across a range of stakeholders
- Strong analytical thinking skills and an ability to identify and manage risk
- Experienced in strategic communications, engagement planning and delivery
- An understanding of regulatory systems, and government systems and cycles
- Strong written communication and presentation skills and excellent organisational capability
- Fluent in Te Reo, both written and verbal
- Ability to travel regularly across New Zealand
- Proven ability to develop policies, practices, guidelines and toolkits for engaging effectively with Māori in ways that improve Māori outcomes and to ensure the Agency is fulfilling its obligations to Māori.
- Proven cultural leadership ability.
- Experience of leading, influencing and building credibility across a range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in working with Māori on projects and initiatives.
Te Autinga | Applications close: Monday 10th May 2021
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Please note that we may begin shortlisting as we receive applications. We encourage early applications as we may withdraw the advertising at any time.