Collection Technician, Te Mana o Rangitāhua
Tāmaki Paenga Hira: Tui tui hono tangata, whenua me te moana.
Auckland War Memorial Museum: Connecting through sharing stories of people, lands and seas.
Auckland Museum is a much-loved culture and heritage organisation at the heart of Auckland's identity, committed to outstanding management of its world-class collections and the employees and volunteers who tell the Museum's stories. We are Auckland's home of commemoration as well as the country's oldest research institution and a major tourist destination.
Te Mana o Rangitāhua is a five-year MBIE Endeavour-funded research programme, co-led by Ngāti Kuri and Auckland Museum. The Collection Technician, Te Mana o Rangitāhua is responsible for technical support for the expert physical care, fieldwork collection, processing and documentation of specimens collected during the Te Mana o Rangitāhua project. The role also provides support for the Archaeology and Natural Sciences team in the aggregation of the existing data of Rangitāhua's ecosystems.
To be successful in this full-time and fixed term role you will offer:
- A tertiary qualification in a field relevant to the Natural Sciences collections of the museum
- Demonstrated experience with, and knowledge of, taxonomy and Linnaean classification
- Experience in preparation of museum natural science specimens, including dry and wet specimens
- Collections database experience, preferably in Vernon CMS
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and using computers to manage collections
- Demonstrated experience working in a field and laboratory environment
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of high standards of care of museum collections, including safe handling, packing, conservation, and storage of museum objects
- Experience in working in a remote location, including on research vessels, is highly desirable
- Knowledge of New Zealand flora and fauna is desirable
Closing Date: 5:00pm Sunday, 25 April 2021
You must be currently eligible to work in New Zealand to apply for this position.
Auckland Museum offers a rich and fulfilling work life where we embrace diversity and nurture our bicultural capability as demonstrated in our Teu le Va and He Korahi Maori strategies. We also offer a range of great benefits such as flexible work and leave and an award-winning wellbeing programme.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to be part of a fabulous New Zealand organisation committed to telling our national and Auckland stories, reflecting our unique place in the South Pacific.
He Oranga Tangata ka ao
Enriching lives: Inspiring discoveries
|Posted on||07 Apr 2021|
|Closes on||25 Apr 2021 17:00|
|Job level(s)||Graduate, Experienced|
|Work arrangement||Fixed term - full time|
|More details (document)||PD - Collection Technician, Te Mana o Rangitāhua, April 2021.pdf|