Senior Scientist - Kaipūtaiao Matua | Flexible
Ministry for the Environment
Mō te tūnga | About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for Senior Scientists to join our Environmental Reporting programme. In partnership with Statistics New Zealand, we provide independent, robust and relevant environmental reports that all New Zealanders can use to shape the future and inspire positive action. You can read our previous report on the state of the environment as a whole (synthesis report) here.
We are looking for capable science professionals to join our team. As a Senior Scientist, you would have an initial focus on the delivery of the next synthesis report due for release in April 2022. Beyond that, you would play a lead role in the delivery of future reports, strategic assessments and other insights products. The programme is undergoing an exciting transformation in response to recommendations from the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment. This is an opportunity to be part of delivering greater strategic impact with data, analytics, mātauranga māori and science.
The Ministry can offer you opportunities that value your talent and supports continued learning and development. In the future, you will have the chance to rotate into other project areas within the Ministry if you desire.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
To be successful in this role as a Senior Scientist you would have tertiary qualifications in a science field relevant to the environment. We welcome applications from any science disciplines, but particularly encourage applications from those who have knowledge and expertise in:
- mātauranga māori and te ao Māori perspectives
- social sciences exploring the connection between well-being and nature
- marine science
You will have strong learning agility, the ability to work independently and as part of a team and be able to demonstrate some of the skills described below.
We are looking for people who can bring all or some of the following:
- take a multi-disciplinary approach and apply a systems perspective to your analysis
- weave different knowledge systems together
- highly developed analytical and science communication skills
- experience in code based analysis, reproducibility and data visualisation
- able to connect with others, applying influencing skills and building relationships
- comfort in working with ambiguity and adaptability to changing priorities
- strong desire to coach and mentor others
- commitment to developing your capability and capacity in te ao Māori
Mō mātou - About us
Our purpose - He taiao tōnui mō ngā reanga katoa - A flourishing environment for every generation. As well as being part of an organisation that considers the intrinsic values of ecosystems, the values people place on the environment, the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi, the sustainability of natural and physical resources, and the needs of future generations, we offer you:
- a flexible by default approach to support your work-life balance
- agile working, allowing you variety and challenges across the organisation as we work as ‘One MfE'
- generous leave entitlements
- training to competently and effectively engage with Māori as our Treaty Partner, this includes te reo me ona tikanga Māori courses
- active social club and employee networks
- opportunities for development and education.
We embrace diversity and inclusion and are committed to equal opportunities. What's important to us is ‘he rau kotahi tangata' – embracing our multiple talents – by harnessing our diversity and being inclusive. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
The salary range is from $97, 033 to $121, 984 depending on skills and experience.
The Senior Scientist position description is attached for your information.
Please apply by completing the online questionnaire complete with your CV and a cover letter.
For additional information please email the hiring Manager, email@example.com to discuss your interest in the role.
The Ministry supports flexible approaches to work, to ensure that we truly have the best person for the role.
Applications close: 8 March 2021