Te Atawhai o Te Ao
Te Atawhai o Te Ao is looking to employ a full-time Research Manager.
If you wish to apply, please go to our website: https://teatawhai.maori.nz/vacancies/research-manager/ (copy n paste this into your browser)
Our website has a Position Description and an Application Form and sets out how to apply for this position.
Please do not apply through Mahi.co.nz.
Please do not apply through TradeMe.
Te Atawhai o Te Ao is an independent Māori research institute for environment and health. Our purpose is to be a community-led, globally recognised, indigenous research institute that generates and rediscovers knowledge focused on health and environment for the benefit of our people.
Based in Whanganui, we whakapapa to our immediate environs, but embrace uri of all iwi and nations. We acknowledge the national and metaphysical identity markers that define our people and place.
We aspire to enhance the health and well-being of Māori by:
- growing Māori leadership across the research sector;
- building collaborations with indigenous and international researchers; and,
- making a difference in the evidence-base that supports whānau outcomes by producing excellent research.
About the role:
The purpose of this role is to support the successful performance of the organisation by providing professional management of the research operations side of Te Atawhai o Te Ao.
We are a small, close working team and so you will have opportunities to broaden and develop your existing skills.
You will be:
- leading the applications process for research grants;
- managing contracts for all research programmes (including reports to funders);
- managing budgets and internal and external relationships for all research programmes;
- actively support the dissemination of research outputs;
- lead the transition of the Institute’s research management system;
- contribute to and manage Strategic, Business and Annual Plans;
- engaging in ongoing professional development that meets your and the Institute’s needs; and,
- complying with all Health and Safety requirements
The ideal candidate will have:
- grant application experience – this is a major part of this role;
- excellent academic writing skills (please send through one example of your writing);
- existing relevant networks and effective networking skills;
- contract and relationship management experience;
- strong written and verbal communication skills, including academic writing;
- understanding of Kaupapa Māori, Te Ao Māori, and tikanga Māori;
- organisation and planning skills;
- ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously and use your initiative; and,
- ability to work well in a small team setting
Te Atawhai O Te Ao also offer:
- professional development. Arrangements to be agreed at the time of contracting and reviewed yearly at the staff performance review;
- health benefits: $1,000 per year for full-time FTE for health related expenses;
- access to Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) services;
- use of equipment and/or resources such as mobile phones; and,
- membership or subscription to support services or training.
The total of these entitlements can range from $2,000 – $10,000 (FTE based) and is additional to the remuneration. The Institute’s financial contribution towards building staff capability, ensures that personal and professional development remains an integral part of Te Atawhai o Te Ao.
The Position Description and renumeration:
When reviewing the job description, please note that some KPIs are dependent on current workstreams, and the job description is not finalised until the role has been offered to the successful candidate.
The salary band for the Research Manager role is full-time, $50,000 to $65,000 per annum (pro-rata).
If you wish to apply, please email the following:
- application form;
- your resume;
- cover letter; and,
- one example of your academic writing:
Applications close 5pm, Sunday 17 January 2021.