Senior Front-end Developer
The Springload whānau is the largest digital agency in Wellington. We encourage our Springloaders to thrive at work and at home. We’ve got great clients, challenging projects, and a collaborative, friendly workspace. There’s always plenty of healthy snacks available, People’s Coffee brewing, and craft beer in the fridge.
Springload is part of Diversity Works — we celebrate different perspectives and we’re committed to creating an equal, inclusive, and diverse workplace. Our talent comes from all over the world and almost half of our staff are women.
Women, Māori and Pasifika, and members of the rainbow community are strongly encouraged to apply to our roles. At Springload, we know we’re doing better work for our end users and our clients if we have a diverse mix of people on our team. We want vibrancy, language, culture, experiences, and abilities to brighten up our office and bring diversity of thought to our team. If there is anything we can do to accommodate you to participate fully in the recruitment or interview process, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- a whānau friendly, flexible workplace
- a learning and growth budget to support your professional aspirations, and a wellness package to keep you physically and mentally fit
- a team of highly talented teammates who strive to create world-class experiences that make people's lives better
- opportunities to get involved in internal initiatives you care about, such as our sustainability group, bi-monthly waiata practice, and mental health chat
- a base in Wellington, the best city in Aotearoa New Zealand (and some say, the world).
Due to current immigration restrictions, we will only be accepting applications for this role from people already in New Zealand.
We’re looking for a seasoned, professional, dedicated, and pragmatic Senior Front-end Developer to join us as a permanent team member.
You’ll have input at all levels of a project, so you’ll need to be able to communicate your ideas clearly, as you’ll be working day-to-day in a multi-disciplinary team.
We're looking for a great communicator who writes and speaks with empathy when working with clients and colleagues. You’ll have initiative and be able to work independently, with the support of your peers.
But, what really counts is your ability to communicate and operate at a high level in an agency environment.
Who are you?
The successful candidate will be:
- Responsible and friendly
- Highly motivated, showing initiative
- A great communicator, passionate about their work.
- In Wellington, or willing to move to Wellington
While we value formal qualifications they’re not essential. We value proven experience, demonstrable analytical thinking, and great communication skills.
In this role you’ll
- Estimate tasks, features, and projects to help us plan effectively.
- Work closely with others in the Technical team to ensure all work meets our high standards and follows established best-practice processes and methodology.
- Work closely with other disciplines to efficiently deliver client projects that meet the required outcomes.
- Support the team in developing, maintaining, and documenting our frameworks, tools, and code libraries.
- Contribute to project documentation and code reuse.
- Help to train others, provide meaningful and helpful input, and review the work of your peers and juniors.
- Help clients and other Springloaders to understand the issues around projects and enable them to communicate these clearly.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders and clients to enable collaboration and achieve outcomes in line with Springload’s business goals.
- Maintain websites and test changes across a range of browsers and devices.
Core front-end skills
- Ability to communicate front-end development matters clearly to other team members, clients, and partners
- Understanding of browser, platform, device, performance, and accessibility constraints
- Experience with CSS preprocessing (SCSS, PostCSS) and HTML templating
- Experience with large-scale CSS architecture (Tailwind, BEM, ITCSS)
- Basic understanding of object-oriented and functional programming concepts
- Experience with browser development tools (such as Chrome or Firefox DevTools)
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in server-side web development stacks
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle, agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Familiarity with version control via Git, continuous integration, issue trackers, wikis, and pull request workflows
- Experience with client-side frameworks (such as React, Vue, or Angular)
- Experience with content management systems or e-commerce platforms
- Familiarity with front-end build tools and task runners (Webpack, Rollup)
- Familiarity with software testing – unit tests, integration tests
- Understanding of RESTful principles and HTTP verbs
- Working knowledge of the Unix command line and a shell of your choice
- Basic knowledge of design software (Figma), comfortable working with vectors and SVG.
- Experience designing user interfaces with a user experience (UX) approach
- Understanding of fundamentals of typography
- Ability to do basic server administration from the command line
- Familiarity with server-side programming stacks (we use Python, Ruby, PHP and Node)
- Experience with the Django framework, and Wagtail CMS
- Experience working with style guides and pattern libraries
- Familiarity with web development and open-source communities
- Advanced HTML and CSS knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of React – client-side routing, code splitting, etc
- Advanced testing skills – accessibility tests, automated cross-browser tests, automated UI regression
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in client-side JS stacks
- Familiarity with other development stacks and platforms (iOS, Android, .NET, etc).