Principal Advisor, Policy
Kia hiwa ra! Kia hiwa ra! Kia hiwa ra ki tenei tuku! Kia hiwa ra ki tera tuku. Kohiri, kohere, kia mataara! Tihei Mauriora!
We are looking for a Principal Advisor to join our team in the Office of the DCE Assessment. We need someone who wants to make a contribution in education, relishes challenge and variety and who can get to the best outcomes through their ability to tap into expertise both inside NZQA and in the sector.
The Principal Advisor will support our work in the delivery of NCEA assessment and our role in quality assurance, qualifications development and systems monitoring. This role is critical in advising and supporting the DCE and the senior leadership of the division in our forward change programme and in our ongoing system improvements.
On a day-to-day basis, you would be responsible for:
- bringing “equity by design” to the formation of all policy thinking, including ensuring that the aspirations and obligations within Te Tiriti o Waitangi are embedded
- working closely with the Ministry of Education and assessment expertise in NZQA on the development of operational policy advice
- developing a forward view of the Division's policy programme and system performance indicators, using evidence to identify emerging policy and strategy issues
- developing think pieces and discussion papers and identifying areas for research and evaluation
- preparing Ministerial reports and NZQA's contribution to interagency consultation.
To be successful in this position, you will need:
- highly developed policy/operational policy skills
- the ability to test current thinking
- sound knowledge of the machinery of government
- knowledge of the education system, and desirably of NCEA
- the ability to clearly articulate the rationale and evidence for policy recommendations in well structured and robust papers and reports
- ability to apply analytical, conceptual and innovative thinking skills, and process complex information quickly and thoroughly.
NZQA is committed to ongoing professional development for our staff. While this is a full-time position, NZQA offers a wide range of flexible working options.
NZQA is accountable for managing the New Zealand Qualifications Framework, administering the secondary school assessment system, independent quality assurance of non-university education providers, qualifications recognition and standard setting for some specified unit standards.
NZQA is a te reo Māori learning organisation with commitments to equity and lifelong learning. We prioritise the importance of understanding tikanga in building a culturally responsive workplace. NZQA is dedicated to providing a welcoming environment for Māori staff and has an active Māori staff network, Te Kāhui Māori
For more information about this role and NZQA please refer to the job description, NZQA's Customer Charter, Organisational Values and NZQA Staff Benefits. If you are applying/viewing through Seek, please click ‘apply now' to access these links.
If you would like to discuss further, please call Jennifer Scott on 04 463 3033
Applications close at 5.00 pm on 26 October 2020