Kaiakiaki (Law Coordinator)
Victoria University of Wellington
Faculty of Law
- Kaiakiaki, Engagement Advisor (Faculty of Law permanent full-time with the opportunity to job share and work part-time)
- Are you studying towards, or have completed, a Law degree and want to facilitate the academic achievement of Māori students?
- Do you want to be part of a diverse, driven, and passionate team?
Āwhina, Te Herenga Waka (Victoria University of Wellington)
Applications are invited for the position of Kaiakiaki (Faculty of Law). Āwhina is located within the Office of the DVC Māori. The role of Āwhina is to provide cultural and academic support programmes to enhance the retention and achievement of Māori students studying at Te Herenga Waka (Victoria University of Wellington). In addition, Āwhina provides a robust outreach programme designed to encourage and motivate Māori students to consider tertiary education as a career path.
The role is varied and has a large student focus. Key responsibilities are:
- deliver high quality, appropriate and up-to-date programmes effectively, with clear planning, review processes and delivery schedules in place
- support and engage students in Āwhina activity that complements and supports their academic journey and leads to academic success
- ensure high-quality record keeping and reporting systems are put in place to monitor progress and make improvements where needed
- develop and maintain key relationships with Academics, Professional staff and key stakeholders.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Te reo and tikanga Māori, and the application of Te Tiriti o Waitangi in an educational context
- Proven experience in a relevant educational role such as academic learning support, teaching or mentoring
- Proven knowledge and experience in data collection, data analysis, evaluation and report writing
- Proven ability in dealing with people and establishing excellent working relationships
The role requires a collegial and collaborative approach and must demonstrate exceptional organisation and administration skills.
it is desired that the Kaiakiaki Law be studying towards a Law degree or have completed a Law degree.
Ideally, this could be a job share position with working 2.5 days per week or alternate days per fortnight. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for a job share.
If you have any questions regarding these roles please get in touch with Ani Eparaima 04 463 4987 and email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For applicants who are not NZ Citizens or Permanent Residents, we recommend you check the NZ Immigration website for updates related to Covid19 restrictions on entry to New Zealand: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19
Important - Application steps
Click the Apply Button at base of the advert, follow the process to enter your contact details and add your CV and cover letter in the online form.
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Email completed application form to email@example.com along with any further supporting documents stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is New Zealand’s globally ranked capital city university, focused on engaging with Wellington, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific region and connecting with the world. The University values the expertise of its professional staff in supporting and enabling teaching, research and engagement activities.
Victoria University of Wellington is an EEO employer and actively seeks to meet its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi. We care about your privacy and personal information. You can review the University's privacy notice or alternatively find out more about working at the University using the links at the top of the current vacancies page.
Applications close Monday, 21 September 2020.