Chief Advisor Māori, System Strategy and Policy
Ministry of Health
The Chief Advisor Māori is a key senior leadership role responsible for providing trusted advice and support to the Deputy Director-General System Strategy and Policy. This position requires a high level of strategic policy expertise and skills, and a deep understanding of the machinery of government. Reflecting the Ministry's priority of equity with a focus on equitable health outcomes for Māori in a manner that meets Te Tiriti obligations in our strategic and policy advice, this role will involve:
- Challenging our thinking and approaches, to properly honour Te Tiriti o Waitangi with a focus on the achievement of equitable health outcomes for Māori in our policy advice
- Building and leading relationships in regard to policy and strategy across the public health sector with whānau, hapū, iwi and Māori groups, the health and disability sector, and the wider public service in support of improving how we address Te Tiriti and equity in our advice
- Lead a capability uplift in our policy people, in the framework and application of our advice in relation to Te Tiriti obligations and equity
- Leading the development of policy frameworks and influencing their application in relation to Te Tiriti obligations and equity
- Contributing to the work of the Māori Health Directorate to meet Te Tiriti, equity and Māori health responsibilities.
This is an influential new role, designed to accelerate our strategic policy response to the wellbeing of Māori in the health and disability system. The position does not have any direct reports but will be responsible for providing guidance and advice to ensure that understanding and consideration of equity and Te Tiriti obligations becomes embedded in all health policy advice.
You'll advise on how we monitor our progress, report on outcomes and challenge ourselves to do more. With a strong policy background, you'll be experienced in the machinery of government and have a track record of achieving through influencing.
You're a technical expert who collaborates to get things done. You excel at leading through others and developing people. You encourage and seek out engagement and are as comfortable working across the sector as you are working with policy professionals to advise Ministers. You willingly share your knowledge to enable others to be successful.
You will be committed to playing your part in building a Ministry culture that supports policy excellence and makes us a great place to work. There is a great vibe across the Directorate where people are focused on delivering high quality policy advice in a fun, supportive team environment. We work hard to ensure policy settings are responsive to the diverse needs and wellbeing of New Zealanders while maintaining a strong focus on staff wellbeing and personal work/life balance. We pride ourselves on investing in developing and supporting staff to reach their full potential.
You will find a copy of the Position Description attached or online at www.careers.health.govt.nz
For further information, contact email@example.com
If you have any accessibility needs you would like to discuss, please call +64 4 816 2478.
Please click Apply for this Job to upload your CV and cover letter.
Advertising for this role closes at midnight Monday, 28 September 2020.
We encourage diversity and inclusion at the Ministry of Health and are committed to equal opportunity in all our employment policies and procedures. In particular, we want to ensure accessibility needs are well supported, so the recruitment process is fair and equitable for all. Therefore, please let us know if there is any support we can provide to ensure the recruitment process is fully accessible to you. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss any accessibility needs you may have.