Public Health Analyst
Hutt Valley Health
Closing Date : 07 Jun 2020
Dynamic Data Analyst Required - Now is a great time to join public health and contribute to our COVID 19 response.
Location: Hutt Hospital
Contract: Permanent - Full time
Covid 19 has given the public a new appreciation for the importance of data rigour, analysis and monitoring. If you want to be part of this AND have skills in data analysis - have we got the role for YOU! Welcome to Public Health.
As one of our Public Health Analysts (Quantitative) you will provide information for public health action. You will be part of a motivated and multidisciplinary team. You will be comfortable undertaking and supporting research, evaluation and analysis work from the very simple to the very complex.
A preference and aptitude for teamwork is important. You will also need to be a polished written and oral communicator who can present work in crisp and simple language. Improving Māori health outcomes and reducing inequities are key priorities, therefore experience in analysis and presentation of data that is accessible and relevant to Māori is desirable.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing quantitative analysis of public health data - for example hospital discharge information to support the Healthy Housing programme
- Using sound quantitative analysis skills to convert complex data into information to inform decisions on public health action.
- Developing more efficient analytical processes.
- Proactively identifying opportunities where data analysis can improve public health action.
Key skills and competencies:
- Knowledge of tikanga Māori and preferably ability in Te Reo Māori.
- Experience in working with databases including data extraction, maintenance and data integrity
- Knowledge and experience of presenting data in a way that is easy to understand and appropriate for different audiences, including data visualisation
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience analysing data to support and improve service delivery with a range of staff and projects
- Good understanding of epidemiological and statistical concepts, as well as competency in the manipulation of numerical data
- Skilled in using R or Epi-Info 7 and Access software
- Advanced skills in EXCEL
- Experience in software such as GIS (ArcView), Access, Microsoft Windows (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Business Objects, and/or SQL Server Management System (SSMS)
Regional Public Health is one of the three larger public health units in New Zealand and as such often takes on a national leadership role. RPH provides public health services to the greater Wellington region, including Wairarapa (population of approximately 500,000).
You must have permanent residency or a valid long term working visa to be considered for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete an online HVDHB application form by clicking the 'Apply Now' button. You can also apply now and see a copy of the job description through our careers website: www.healthyjobs.co.nz. Please note: We are unable to accept applications via email.
For further information on this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the vacancy number 112968-20 and job title in the subject line.