Public Health Advisor - Healthy Active Learning
Hutt Valley District Health Board
Closing Date : 28 Feb 2020
Are you an education guru with a passion for health?
Location: Based at Hutt Hospital but travel required in the wider Wellington region
Contract: Full time - fixed term until December 2023
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (occasional after hours work maybe required)
ABOUT THE ROLE
Regional Public Health is looking for a Public Health Advisor with energy and enthusiasm to join our team of dedicated professionals. We are looking for someone with a track record of leading and empowering others in education settings.
Healthy Active Learning is a collaborative joint agency wellbeing initiative between Sport New Zealand and the Ministries of Health and Education.
Healthy Active Learning will support kōhanga reo, kura and wharekura, early learning services, primary, intermediate and secondary schools across Aotearoa to improve the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi through healthy food, drink and physical activity initiatives and policies.
The Public Health Advisor will be responsible for supporting leaders and teachers at identified schools to adopt, develop and implement healthy food and water-only policies.
This is a fulltime role (to 31 December 2023) based in Lower Hutt and involving travel around the region (work vehicles will be provided).
Standard work hours 8.30am to 5pm with occasional community based work outside of normal working hours.
The main activities accountabilities of this role will currently include:
- To create connections with regional and local partners particularly schools and kura.
- To work with the leaders at identified schools and kura and where identified by the leaders we will engage with students and parents/caregivers to encourage, support and enable them to provide healthy food environments.
As an advisor you will have:
- Experience in leading change and influencing at different levels
- Experience in education settings is preferred but not essential
- Have a relevant public health qualification
- Have experience working with a wide range of stakeholders including community
- Have knowledge of health promotion programmes
- Facilitation skills
- Have an understanding of the obligations of the Crown to uphold the Treaty of Waitangi
- Have working knowledge of the social determinants of health
- Be committed to working as part of a team
- A high degree of autonomy and initiative in your professional practice
- Strong computer and social media literacy
- Be an excellent communicator and a confident presenter
- A full clean driver’s license
This is a permanent position (40 hours per week) where you will be expected to work from Lower Hutt or Porirua. Please note you must have permanent residency or a valid long term working visa to be considered for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete an online HVDHB application form by clicking the 'Apply Now' button and enter the vacancy number 9112856-20 in the Job Search. You can also apply now and see a copy of the job description through our careers website: www.healthyjobs.co.nz. Please note: We are unable to accept applications via email.
For further information on this role, please email email@example.com and indicate the vacancy number 9112856-20 and job title in the subject line.