Chief Advisor | Wellington City
Ministry of Justice
Closing Date : 01 Apr 2019
Kahore tetahi o tatou, taea te mahi, nga mahi e taea o tatou katoa
Not one of us alone can do the job as well as all of us working together
Are you motivated to make a difference for all New Zealanders? Come and join the Ministry working for justice – Tāhū o Te Ture. When you choose to work in the Policy Group at Justice – Tāhū o Te Ture – you'll join a successful team that is focused on making New Zealand a safe and just society.
The Ministry of Justice is looking for a Chief Advisor to work in the Criminal Justice Policy Unit. Our work is diverse and broad-ranging, with opportunities to shape thinking and drive change across the justice and social sectors. It's also complex and challenging, with opportunities to test and demonstrate your critical thinking and relationship management skills every day.
The Justice Policy Group actively seeks a diverse applicant pool, with a variety of life experiences. An understanding of Te Āo Māori and Te Tiriti o Waitangi is particularly valuable.
We are looking for:
- A person who works well with others and has a passion for developing people
- A proven problem solver who has the confidence to work with complexity and ambiguity
- Someone who can share specialist criminal justice or social sector expertise within the unit and across the wider Policy Group
- Someone who possesses initiative, creativity, and is not afraid to do things differently
- Someone who is interested in improving people's experiences of the workplace (comfort and experience with culture-change leadership is desirable, but not necessary)
- An organised leader, who can self-direct, set direction for others, and is good at holding people to account
- An experienced policy professional with demonstrable public-sector experience.
Your duties will include:
- Advising senior leaders and Ministers
- Providing subject matter knowledge and technical expertise across the Policy Group
- Contributing to all aspects of policy and legislative development, including relevant international commitments
- Leading projects as required
- Coaching and mentoring senior staff in Policy Group
- Contributing to strategic direction and performance monitoring of the Policy Group
- Helping to implement improvements in Policy Group processes and approaches.
The salary range for a Chief Advisor is: $163,756 – $231,185
APPLY by completing the application form and attaching your CV. Instead of a cover letter, please answer the questions in the self-assessment form.
Applications close at midnight on Monday 1 April 2019. We expect to run interviews in mid-April.
If you have any questions, please contact BSU_Policy@justice.govt.nz.