Senior Policy Advisors
Ministry of Justice
Closing Date : 25 Mar 2019
Senior Policy Advisors, National Office, Wellington
Kahore tetahi o tatou, taea te mahi, nga mahi e taea o tatou katoa.
Not one of us alone can do the job as well as all of us working together
Are you passionate about making a difference for all New Zealanders? If you are an experienced policy professional and the questions above spark your interest, we want to hear from you.
When you choose to work in the Policy Group at Justice – Tāhū o Te Ture – you'll join a successful team that is focused on making New Zealand a safe and just society.
Our work is diverse and broad-ranging, with opportunities to shape thinking and drive change across the justice and social sectors. It's also complex and challenging, with new tests for your critical thinking and relationship management skills every day.
We're looking for several experienced Senior Policy Advisors to lead work on the government's justice sector law reform programme. Due to the breadth of the policy areas Justice leads, we have some ability to shape work to take into account your individual preferences, experience, and career goals.
Some of the areas you might be working on include:
- Hāpaitia te Oranga Tangata – establishing a safe and effective justice system
- A referendum on cannabis
- Access to justice and specialised courts
To be successful in this role you will need:
- People skills. Do you care about helping people and have a strong sense of integrity? Are you self-aware and trustworthy, with a willingness to learn from others?
- Initiative. Are you motivated to go beyond the immediate task, problem or issue?
- Problem solving. Can you think analytically and critically? Do you find complex problems interesting, and have a knack for solving them?
- Communication skills. Are you an excellent communicator? Can you simplify complex information and ask questions to improve your understanding?
In return, we will:
- prioritise your well-being and professional development
- empower you to coach others, and be coached by experienced policy professionals
- provide opportunities to work on and lead a broad range of fascinating policy problems
The Justice Policy Group actively seeks a diverse workplace, with a variety of life experiences. The Policy Group actively seeks to build its understanding and capability of Te Āo Māori and Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and the ability to apply this to your work is particularly valuable.
The salary range for a Senior Advisor in the Justice Policy Group is $98,428 - $138,958
To apply, click the Apply button here to be directed to our Careers Website. You can view a detailed position description at the site, as well as complete an online application form by attaching your CV. Instead of a cover letter, please answer the questions in the self-assessment form, and specify the position for which you are applying.
For tracking purposes, all applications must be submitted via our online process.
Applications close at midnight on Monday 25 March 2019. We expect to run interviews in early April.
If you have any questions, please contact BSU_Policy@justice.govt.nz.