Independent Māori Statutory Board (IMSB) Principal Advisor
- Experience as a senior level policy advisor?
- Skilled in Māori policy development and implementation?
- Unique opportunity to shape, deliver and advise at a senior level.
- 12 month, fixed-term contract.
Experience in a role that has required formal engagement with Māori and Pākehā governance structures and Māori decision-making processes.
The Independent Māori Statutory Board (IMSB) has been established in response to the reforms of Auckland Council Governance.
The Board’s purpose is to assist the Auckland Council by promoting issues of significance for Mana Whenua and Mātāwaaka of Tāmaki Makaurau and to ensure that the Auckland Council is meeting its statutory treaty obligations. The Board is a body corporate, independent of the Auckland Council and of the Mana Whenua groups who selected the Board members. The Board advises Council and advocates on issues of significance for Māori with the Council and other parties; who will hold the Council to account regarding its obligations to Māori.
The position of IMSB Principal Advisor is to provide dedicated support for the IMSB to undertake its work programme and achieve its legislative purpose and functions. Providing strategic and policy advice on issues of significance for Māori, the Māori Plan setting out aspirations and measures, its Advancement Action Plans setting out prioritised actions to contribute to aspirations, Te Tiriti o Waitangi audit actions for the Auckland Council, and making changes to documents and processes for it to be more responsive to Māori.
Additionally, advising the Auckland Council, Governing Body on themes affecting the Mana Whenua groups and Mātāwaaka of Tāmaki Makaurau, you will provide leadership and technical expertise in relation to policy development, review, funding and budgetary analysis.
Providing advice, leadership and technical expertise in relation to fulfilment of the Council’s Treaty of Waitangi responsibilities and its intention to meet the aspirations of Māori; this is both a senior and significant role.
Able to transverse two often opposing world views; Te Ao Māori and Te Ao Pākehā, you will be able to navigate a complex framework, supporting the Board in their engagement with Mana Whenua, the Māori community and the wider community of Tāmaki Makaurau.
We are seeking applicants who have and can demonstrate;
- 5+ year’s Senior level policy advisor experience.
- Minimum of 2 years working in Māori policy development and implementation.
- Extensive report writing experience, preferably in local or central government environment.
- Knowledge of Te Reo and excellent understanding of tikanga Māori.
- Demonstrated leadership of key strategy and policy development areas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills gained through providing advice to a broad demographic of stakeholders.
- Experience in providing leadership, direction and function integrating Māori Responsiveness engagement across areas of business.
- Demonstrate a shared view of the Kaupapa across the whole of the business, and be commercially translated, and operationally implemented.
- Excellent relationship management experience.
- Political acumen and skilled in maintaining political impartiality.
- Demonstrated skills in leading developing and influencing.
- Skill in monitoring and evaluating.
- A relevant tertiary qualification.
The position will take a holistic approach to the work of the Board as well as building in depth knowledge and understanding in specific wellbeing and sector areas. Having an in depth understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, both in a historical and contemporary context; and relevant skills on knowledge application, you will support and empower internal stakeholders to come on this journey with you.
On offer is the tangible ability for you to influence change, to position the Council for the generations ahead to have Māori both meaningfully recognised and embraced as a cornerstone of the organisation.
Salary package for this role is positioned to attract a high calibre of applicant.
To express an interest on a strictly confidential basis please email your cover letter and current CV through to Heather Walker at MANA Recruitment at email@example.com or if you have questions regarding the position, please call on (09) 632 1108.