Family Home Caregiver - Whanganui
Closing Date : 29 Apr 2018
- Are you able to make a positive difference in children and young people’s lives?
- Do you provide a supportive environment for children and young people?
- This is a live-in position in our Whanganui family home, rent free with allowances (no salary).
- Ideally this position would suit a couple.
Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children, support vulnerable children and young people in New Zealand. Oranga Tamariki works to advance the wellbeing and positive long-term outcomes for children and young people. In everything we do, the wellbeing and best-interests of children are paramount. The voices of children and young people underpin our service design and operations.
Family homes are places of safety where children and young people can get on with life while we work to find a permanent loving home, either with their whānau or in their community. Family Home Caregivers reside in the Oranga Tamariki family home and are responsible for running the household, and providing care for up to 6 children.
As a Family Home Caregiver, you will run the home as a family household, manage the home budget, and be skilled in taking care of children and young people with a range of needs. These young people can be fun and rewarding to be with. However, because of their past experiences, their behaviours can sometimes be extremely challenging. You will be part of a specialised team of support workers who provide wrap around services for each young person in the Family Home.
Oranga Tamariki will provide rent-free accommodation, food and mileage, and a variety of allowances (but not a salary), training, support, holiday leave, a weekend a month respite leave and some babysitting during the month.
To be successful as a Family Home Caregiver, you will:
- have the ability to stay calm through the difficult times
- remain resilient, compassionate and have a lot of common sense
- be energetic, committed and resourceful
- continue to work as part of a team
- have experience working with or caring for children and young people
- be willing to receive on-going specialised training and social work support.
This is a rewarding opportunity to use your life experiences and develop specialist skills. We look forward to hearing from you.
– please apply through your MyHR portal at work.
- Only applications received directly through our MSD careers page at will be accepted. Please view this link.
If you have any questions about the role please contact Petri Le Roux on (04) 894 5341 or