Senior Manager / Chief Executive Officer
Hokotehi Moriori Trust
Hokotehi Moriori Trust is a tribal trust based on Rekohu (Chatham Islands) representing the indigenous Moriori people. We are looking for an experienced person to lead our team of 8-10 staff on the Island in a transitional senior management position. The successful applicant must have proven senior management experience either at the GM or CEO level. HMT owns two sheep and cattle farms, a tourism lodge facility, a number of properties, fishing assets and a beautiful Marae complex. We are looking for someone who has experience, shows initiative, excellent people skills and is happy to live in a remote community. Superior listening skills and leadership qualities is a must. Applicants must have a proven ability in management of a diverse organization with a capital value in excess of $40m. Experience in te re/reo and Treaty issues is important or a willingness to learn. The applicant must be able to show they have a good knowledge of Moriori/Rekohu/Chatham Islands history and culture.
We are currently in the process of settling our historical Treaty claims with the Crown and have signed an AIP in August 2017. We have over 1800 registered members and 9 staff members. Restoration of the heritage, identity and culture of Moriori and building the cultural capacity of our people is of fundamental importance to our kaupapa (vision/objectives).
The position is located on Chatham Islands which is 800km east of New Zealand. It is a community of 600 people and is blessed with beautiful landscapes, seascapes and wide-open spaces. Experience living and working in a remote community with the unique challenges that offers, will be an advantage.
An important aspect of the role will be working closely with Trustees of Hokotehi (of whom there are 8) and attend Trustee meetings from time to time.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant including salary, accommodation, vehicle, relocation allowance (if necessary) and travel allowance. An initial 6 month trial period would be considered.
Work experience and skill requirements:
- Excellent people skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Sound business and commercial skills and experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven experience and skill in report writing
- Proven ability to grow and develop a strong team ethic
- A working knowledge and experience of tikane Moriori/tikanga Maori or willingness to learn
- Experience in staff management and knowledge of relevant employment legislation
- Experience in high level business dealings and negotiations
- Knowledge and experience of relevant industries (fishing, farming, tourism, hospitality)
- Computer literacy and competency must be high
Other Important Attributes
- Be innovative and think laterally around problems and issues when required
- Following through and monitoring projects essential
- Ability to multi-task
- Vision for the future of the organisation
- Honest and reliable
- Shows initiative
- Hard working
- Prepared to make tough decisions
If this is a position that you believe is suited to your skills, interests and experience then please contact Hokotehi Moriori Trust, Executive Chair, Maui Solomon on email@example.com or 03 3050450.
For further detailed information please visit the following links: