Principal Policy Advisor Māori Programmes
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
Closing Date : 22 Mar 2018
Ka tangi te tītī, Ka tangi te kākā, Ka tangi hoki mātou
- Join the team in Māori Economic Development
- Drive strategic policy agenda and set direction for the team's policy domain
- Permanent opportunity, Wellington based
The Māori Economic Development Unit works across government to deliver the greatest outcomes for Māori economic development and He kai kei aku ringa – The Crown-Māori Economic Growth Partnership. Be part of a team that will help bring both economic and social policy spectrums together in a way that focusses the Government's resource and effort on those most in need, with programmes and services that get outcomes and have evidence to support success.
We are a busy team, with a broad and interesting work programme. We place strong value on producing excellent work, collaboration, and above all a passion for Māori economic development and growing New Zealand for all. We work across MBIE, Ministers, government agencies, NGOs, Māori and the private sector to fast track the Māori economy.
Your career development is important to us
Developing our staff is a key focus for MBIE. We operate in a high trust environment where staff is empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and to think outside the box.
We encourage excellence and proactively support development through on-the-job learning, training courses, conferences and seminars, development programmes, secondments, rotations to other branches and study opportunities.
We're looking for experienced policy professionals who have;
- experience engaging with Māori to generate new ideas for addressing challenges and opportunities for Māori economic development
- proven ability to provide advice and craft policy that will further Māori economic development
- proven experience leading complex policy work and project teams
- the ability to enhance the overall capability of the team through guiding and mentoring other team members in their day to day work
- big picture thinking, with intellectual curiosity, and makes relevant connections between the work of the team, other parts of MBIE and other agencies
- strong influencing and engagement skills to gain the co-operation and commitment of others
- excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to present information and ideas effectively and engagingly to a wide range of audiences.
An understanding of tikanga and Te Reo would be an asset. You will be joining one of the most exciting growth areas in the New Zealand economy.