Mediators (Employment Services), Auckland
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
Closing Date : 26 Sep 2017
- in Auckland Central with potential to locate to Manukau
- Are you an expert in employment relations, with experience or an interest in dispute resolution?
- Do you enjoy helping people resolve their issues, no matter who they are or where they come from?
- Are you experienced in working with Māori, Pacific peoples and other cultures?
We're looking for a bright, capable individual with significant experience in employment relations to join our high-performing team of mediators.
You'll need to be open-minded, engaging and, above all, able to work effectively with people across a range of different cultures and backgrounds. You'll know exactly how to put your great attitude, your excellent communication skills and professional know-how to good use to bringabout positive results, plus you'll be passionate about working to serve the best interests of clients.
As a Mediator with MBIE, you may be required to carry out a number of different dispute resolution approaches to help parties resolve their issues, Those issues may include personal grievances, ongoing employment relationships, and collective bargaining and may involve working with two people, or with large groups. It's an important, interesting, varied and challenging job, and no two days will be the same.
Mediators play a critical role under the provisions of the Employment Relations Act 2000, and they're involved in a wide range of employment relations activities – from assisting in the development of good employment relationships in the workplace to helping people resolve employment relationship problems and disputes.
Do you have what it takes?
- Experience and understanding of workplaces and employment relations
- Experience and understanding of dispute resolution processes
- Ability to provide an impartial service
- A sound knowledge of New Zealand employment law
- Good written and oral communication skills with people at all levels within an organisation
- Confidence to manage mediation meetings with employees and employers
- Ability to earn the confidence and respect of employers, employees, unions, legal practitioners and other stakeholders
- Ability to work confidentially and professionally, often in emotionally-charged environments
- Experience working effectively with Māori, Pacific people and other cultures
- Ability to contribute to advancing the objectives of the Employment Relations Act
Mediation/dispute resolution training with a tertiary qualification is desirable but not essential. Please note that this role will require you to travel.
To find out more or apply:
Click on the “Apply Now” button to read and download the position description. Please apply directly online, complete the application form and submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
Email Monica Chow at Monica.Chow@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1297235 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm Tuesday, 26 September 2017.