Closing Date : 05 Jun 2017
Permanent - Full Time
Curator – Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato
Nestled next to the Waikato River in central Hamilton, Waikato Museum, Te Whare Taonga o Waikato is one of the region’s premier cultural destinations. The Museum houses a diverse collection of Tangata Whenua, social history, science and art collections. This is an opportunity to join the Waikato Museum team creating a unique cultural destination for Hamilton and the greater Waikato.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced Curator to join the team at Waikato Museum. The role of Curator exists to research and develop exhibitions, to care for items within the collection and provide advice across the curatorial function.
This role will have a particular emphasis on the Tangata Whenua collection, and will support the Museums other curatorial areas of Science, Art and Social History.
Our ideal candidate will be responsible for curating and developing highly engaging visitor-focused exhibitions, contributing to new research around the Tangata Whenua collections, and participating in education and public programmes.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant field
- Knowledge of tikanga me ona reo in relation to Taonga Maaori
- A credible track record of achievement working with a Tangata Whenua collection
- The ability to build relationships within the community and develop ideas for exhibitions with a strong Tangata Whenua focus.
- Evidence of strong networks and working collaborative partnerships at local, national and international levels
- A professional knowledge of collections management and the principles of object and materials conservation.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Public oration, influence and relationship skills including public speaking.
- Demonstrated success in communicating and promoting museum collections to specialist and general audiences.
- An ability to plan, set objectives and meet deadlines.
- An ability to work unsupervised and to provide self-motivation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate effectively in small teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in research.
Waikato Museum is staffed by a diverse, lively and friendly group of museum professionals who work closely together and strive to deliver a world-class museum experience.
The recruiting range for this role starts at $65,100 per annum, and could be negotiated for the right candidate.
This is a challenging and varied role for someone with at least five years’ experience working in a museum or art gallery. If this role sounds like you, apply online today.
All candidates will be notified of the outcome on their application via email. Short-listed candidates will be required to complete an interview process, reference checks, pre-employment medical and drug assessments and Ministry of Justice or Police vetting check.
For further information refer to the position description available on our careers website at https://hamilton.careercentre.net.nz/Job
Please note this role is being sourced directly and we are not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies.
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Closing Date: Monday, 5 June 2017